Thursday, July 9, 2009

Potty Training

This week I have decided to bite the bullet and push the potty-training thing with Tyce. It has gone amazingly well. I'm not sure why I was so chicken about doing it. On Monday morning I let Tyce pick out a pair of Cars underware (thank you Mama Asay). I made a chart that had 3 rows of 7 squares. At the end of each row I put a little picture of something he could earn. Example: row one was a book (thank you Mama Webster), row two was a trip to the swimming pool, and row three was a trip to the dinosaur museum. I expected this to take quite some time to fill. I was wrong. By the Monday night he had already earned his book and was on his way to earning the trip to the swimming pool. We put a diaper on him for the night. He woke up dry! In fact, he's woke up dry every morning since. Crazy! He loves to put stickers on his chart. By Wednesday afternoon he had his entire chart filled up and only a few accidents to his name. HURRAY! He hasn't figured out how to tell me he needs to go, but if we try to take him to the bathroom and he needs to go, he doesn't fight us. I hope this keeps up....it will be nice to not be buying diapers for him anymore....just in time to buy them for baby #2!

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Yay, Tyce! Sounds like you're using Kristi's system (and my system for getting Bridget to sleep all night in her bed). Stickers are awesome. I love your rewards, too. You're a hero. :)

Jenn and Mike said...

I just finished potty training my youngest too!!! It always seems like a chore, but once again I was proved wrong!

Crystal HW said...

Way to go Tyce! I may have to try that sysytem with Samantha...maybe that is what we are missing in our training to get success.

Andrea said...

GO Tyce! My hardest part with all of mine were car rides and errands. I usually resorted to pull-ups just in case. Don't worry, the telling part will come too...once he associates what he is feeling and mom taking him potty. Yay!